Abel to Yzerman

A Tough One - Who Said This?

“I’m working the phones, I’m trying to see what the other teams in the league are thinking. We are obviously not a buyer, we are not spending future assets to try to get in.

“We’ll see here over the next week what direction we are going, but I am aware we are eight points out and games are running out.”

-Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press has more.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

I’m working the phones…
...-Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press

Who else? George McPhee, obviously.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 02/14/18 at 03:53 PM ET

No reference to kicking the tires?

Posted by VPalmer on 02/14/18 at 04:44 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

So 10 weeks after the rest of the hockey world conceded as much…the Wings are only now making it official….. We’re Sellers!!..... ohh

Posted by Down River Dan on 02/14/18 at 04:53 PM ET

Actually, he did say “we’ll see here over the next week what direction we are going” so maybe next week it will be “official”.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 02/14/18 at 05:09 PM ET

Wasn’t there a report a couple weeks ago that KH made it known that Wings are ready to sell?

Posted by George0211 on 02/14/18 at 05:11 PM ET

Can I just remind our loyal fans that trades are kinda hard. They take a lot of work. You need lawyers. And capologists. Gotta make sure your phone is charged and the batteries in the calculator are fresh. It’s all done by fax so gotta get some paper and toner stocked. I might end up making like 20 phone calls just to trade Mike Green. of course I also have to talk to the player. Get that NTC waived. It’s lots of work. Once I’m done with Green…I have a couple of ideas for Ouellet, David Booth is a guy someone asked about. I dunno. By then I might not have any more energy. My toes will be sore from the tire kicking so it’s possible we just shut it down and wait for the draft. Yeah, the draft, that’s when there’s more action. Tatar, Nyquist, Mrazek, Howard, lots of tire kickin’ at the draft. These things sometimes take time. You simpleton fans don’t understand.

Signed, Kenny

P.S. I see Vancouver just extended their GM for 3 more years. So I guess I’m out of the running for that job. Maybe I’ll just stay here. You know, because I can make millions of dollars for doing a shit job and nobody notices except a few fans on the internets.

Posted by fatsavage on 02/14/18 at 05:13 PM ET

maybe next week it will be “official”.

true, so far KH just said we are not buyers. He did add though “We’d like to get assets, open up spots for a kid or two for next season”, so it could be interpreted as we are ready to sell.

Posted by VPalmer on 02/14/18 at 05:18 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Only 2 teams have made a move around this trade deadline, and that is Ottawa and LA. No Buffalo, Arizona, Nashville, TB, Toronto, notta. Last year, Kenny made all of his moves on trade deadline day (Im pretty sure thats true) and it turns out he did pretty good, even if it was baseline GM stuff.

Lets get our panties out of a twist lol

Posted by ilovehomers on 02/14/18 at 05:22 PM ET

Signed, Kenny….
Posted by fatsavage on 02/14/18 at 04:13 PM ET

holding steady at only 3 personalities. Today is a good day for some of us.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 02/14/18 at 05:23 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

There are 12 days before the deadline.

Other GMs want prices to go down. Asking prices start high.

It’s a staring competition. Sellers have to get some type of compensation back before losing a guy, and the buyers need depth or help to go out and win it all.

just breathe lol

Posted by ilovehomers on 02/14/18 at 05:25 PM ET

”...we are not spending future assets to try to get in.

whooosh! right over everyone’s head.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 02/14/18 at 05:25 PM ET

There’s really only one direction to go.

Posted by Steve1306 on 02/14/18 at 05:38 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Well, this was the word on the street almost month ago (https://theathletic.com/221885/2018/01/25/red-wings-deadline-plans-nhl-teams-being-told-detroit-ready-to-deal/) so I guess this makes it as official as it’s going to get.  Though some people are still going to try to read between the lines to make up a narrative….

I’m patiently interested to see what happens with this.  I think there’s potential for us to get a few decent picks, and this is supposed to be a strong draft.  So, we’ll see what happens over the next few months but it’s sort of fun to see this play out.

Yep.  This is what it’s become.  Not being excited about hockey in the Spring…but being excited about how many picks we get and the players we choose.

Posted by TreKronor on 02/14/18 at 06:14 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Who else? George McPhee, obviously.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 02/14/18 at 02:53 PM ET

Or George McFly?

Posted by RWBill on 02/14/18 at 07:42 PM ET

I called LA but they got Phaneuf so they said no to Green.

Edmonton asked about him months ago, but they obviously don’t need him anymore.

Tampa was pretty interested at one point, but I guess they are busy discussing Karlsson or McDonough, but Stevie said he’d get back to me if those deals fell through.

I called Toronto. They are looking at Hjalmarsson right now. But Green is their plan B. I hope Green is open to playing there. I’ve never asked him.

Vegas is another option that I saw TSN mention. So I called McPhee. I’m kicking some tires. Would like to get a 1st, 2nd, 2nd, and 2nd in return. I said they could substitute Nosek for one of the 2nds. We like his compete level.

Anyway, I got this figured out guys. All year long people have been saying Green is the top prize at the deadline. So I’m just going to sit back and let the offers pour in. I feel like the “Bachelorette” with 30 guys to choose from. raspberry

Posted by fatsavage on 02/14/18 at 08:02 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

FS, have you totally ignored the insiders who have linked Green to Toronto and TB?

Posted by ilovehomers on 02/14/18 at 09:18 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

How the Trade Deadline will go down:

-Another GM calls Kenny.  Asks about X-player’s availability.
-Kenny thinks: “Hmm.  This guy is in demand. He must be a really good player. Better keep him.
-Kenny signs X-player to 4 year extension.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 02/15/18 at 12:29 AM ET

Chet's avatar

GUYS GOOD NEWS FOR A SEC I THOUGHT, STAN BOWMAN!?

smile

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 02/15/18 at 04:07 AM ET

Posted by ilovehomers on 02/14/18 at 08:18 PM ET

Edit by Paul

Language like that is not appreciated and will not be tolerated.

Tried to send you an email on this and it kicked back, so this will be your only notification.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 02/15/18 at 02:02 PM ET

“I expect as we head into this trade deadline, we’re going to see the same kind of approach from Yzerman. Mike Green and Jack Johnson are a couple of popular names going around that are pure rentals. Then there’s always the rampant speculation about Erik Karlsson and Ryan McDonagh that have an additional year on their deal.

But know this, if Yzerman picks up Green or Johnson it will be because the price isn’t exorbitant. This team is built to win now, but it’s also built to win five and ten years down the road too. Yzerman will sell part of the future to improve the team now, as long as it’s the right deal at the right value that definitively upgrades the team.”
From:

I called Toronto. They are looking at Hjalmarsson right now.

ahhh…..no they aren’t…..unless you are talking about Sara.

I feel like the “Bachelorette” with 30 guys to choose from.

I bet you do. wink

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 02/15/18 at 02:13 PM ET

Edit by Paul

Language like that is not appreciated and will not be tolerated.

Sorry Paul.