Abel to Yzerman

A Look At Detroit’s Draft

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

The Detroit Red Wings’ previous four draft classes feature five players who have played a combined 185 NHL games thus far.

Several more are certain to enter the league in the next few years, but it takes time.

So it will be a while before Steve Yzerman’s first draft as Red Wings general manager can be evaluated.

“The danger is we all want our draft picks playing as soon as possible; it helps justify the picks a little bit,” Yzerman told media at the draft. “Ultimately, you really have to make sure you’re doing what’s right for these kids, that they’re playing at a level that they can be competitive and improve and excel at.

“There is stress. Very few 18-year-olds play in the NHL today. Now that they’re in the fold, we’ll try to set them up as best as we can, educate them and provide them with resources to develop and then we’ll see. If it’s one year, two years, three years … some of these kids will be five years. It doesn’t mean they’re not going to be good players. But it’s going to take five years for some of them.”

Here is a look at the 11 players the Red Wings selected over the weekend at Rogers Arena in Vancouver:

continued

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

Here are takeaways from the weekend in Vancouver.

The Right stuff

In 2008, the St. Louis Blues drafted a big defenseman who shoots right at fourth overall. Eleven years later Alex Pietrangelo was a key reason they succeeded in winning the Stanley Cup, producing 19 points in 26 playoff games this spring. Right-shot defensemen are gold in the NHL, and that’s why Moritz Seider appealed to the Wings as they made their selection at sixth overall this weekend, and why they followed up with Antti Tuomisto at 35th. They added a third right-shot defenseman in the sixth round in Gustav Berglund.

Does Seider warrant being picked that high when the Wings could have had any one of highly ranked forwards Trevor Zegras, Dylan Cozens, Vasili Podkolzin or Cole Caufield? Time will answer that. But the Wings scouted Seider heavily and big, talented defensemen who shoot right are a rare commodity.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

If Seidel starts playing in GR this fall, I’d say Stevie is off to a good start. Playing there for two years should give him enough time to adjust to an NHL style game and the smaller rink. I doubt he will WOW in his diary year, but, hopefully he shows those moments of promise we expect from a 1st round pick.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 06/24/19 at 09:37 AM ET

The bigger question is where Seider plays, which will probably be the DEL.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/24/19 at 09:49 AM ET

Huh? I’m the glass half full guy?

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 06/24/19 at 10:33 AM ET

I’m the glass half full guy?

I’ve read several articles that state Seider would like to stay in Germany this season to finish school, which would mean he’d be playing in the DEL, not Grand Rapids, and I don’t think that’s not a good start.

If you consider him staying in Germany to be a bad start (which, in fairness, you didn’t specifically say, I’m making an assumption based on what you call a good start), then I’m not sure how you think you’re the glass half full guy because it sounds like you’d be disappointed if he stayed in Germany, whereas I wouldn’t be.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/24/19 at 10:46 AM ET

I think what we need to keep in mind with this draft is to not compare it to last seasons draft. Almost all of Detroit’s first few picks fell to them with other teams doing the reaching back in the draft. Now Detroit is that team reaching back. It feels weird for sure. It’s like walking on thin ice to take a short cut. It’s a huge payoff if it works. If it doesn’t…....

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 06/24/19 at 10:50 AM ET

For Seider’s speedy development to the NHL it would be positive for Stevie to get him to GR. Playing on the smaller rink and against better “men” will be better for his hockey career. That would show us fans that Stevie made the right pick - based on him picking guys with high compete who would want to play against higher levels of competition.

Personally, if Seider stays in the DEL it won’t bother me any. He can get a HS education in any country but as a teen I know being around friends is important and a career is not as important.

My half glass full comment was made as a comparable to our viewpoints on Stevie’s drafting strategy and how fans will see the results. Stevie will be seen as more successful with this draft if he can get Seider to GR (more positively). Fans will likely wonder, why is this kid playing in a weaker league when he doesn’t have to (more negatively)? I’m trying not to talk about my opinion because I only care that he get to the NHL and be good. How he does it is up to him. My focus is on how it reflects on Stevie and his “process”.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 06/24/19 at 11:06 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Jamie and Stoney of 97.1 had Yzerman on today…

Seider, 18, is a strong skater who’s praised for his ability to make plays under pressure. His offensive upside isn’t huge, but he’s a smart passer who has the makings of a top-four defenseman in the NHL. As for whether he’ll become a top-pair guy, time will tell. He likely won’t play for the Red Wings until at least the 2020-21 season.

“We’re going to take it a step at a time,” Yzerman said. “He’s here for our development camp starting (Tuesday) and we’ll get through that and kind of make sure he’s set up for a good summer of training and skating, and then bring him back in for our rookie tournament and into the main camp and then we’ll really decide from there. We have good options. We have all of the options actually.”

You may have have noticed I am running a bit slow today, just trying to recharge and get back at it in a few days.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/24/19 at 12:17 PM ET

We have all of the options actually.

anyone know if he’s been drafter into the CHL?

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 06/24/19 at 02:01 PM ET

CHL?

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 06/24/19 at 03:01 PM

Owen Sound own his rights

Posted by ThatGuy on 06/24/19 at 02:39 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

A blurb from Dobber Hockey on Seider:

Unlike all the online scouts (of varying degrees of experience), I don’t look at Detroit’s selection of defenseman Moritz Seider at No.6 as a bad pick. Instead, I ask myself “why did they do that?” It’s Steve Yzerman. He doesn’t make bad picks. I’ll take his judgment over pretty much any scout or online prognosticator in the world. Put together. Could he have traded down and got him, while adding an extra pick? Yes, it’s possible. But I think by around Pick 10 he would have been pretty nervous about losing this guy. So what could he gain by trading down three spots? Well, those teams were Buffalo, Edmonton and Anaheim. And everybody and their mother knows that Edmonton is hot for defensemen. So really, Yzerman could have traded down one spot. Worthwhile? Apparently not. So why was Seider so high on Detroit’s list? Well, he has some upside, but this was mostly about his being a huge defensively-responsible blueliner who already has NHL strength. And if you look at Detroit’s top defensemen in the system, they are mostly skill guys. I wouldn’t look to Seider as a star fantasy asset, but instead look to him as another Brady Skjei type.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 06/24/19 at 02:52 PM ET

I really liked this pick.

Makes sense to me that this is who Stevie really wanted and
any available trade down - if any - was too big a risk for too slight a return.

Whatever is best for the prospect’s long-term development.
Unless the consensus of player, team - everyone who has Seider’s best
interests at heart is to go right to the AHL, another year in Mannheim with more
mins and responsibilities seems eminently sensible.

Posted by lefty.30 on 06/24/19 at 03:17 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

I like what i hear from YzerTHEMan here:

Sure no Kenny Double Speak.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 06/24/19 at 03:34 PM ET