Abel to Yzerman

12 Hours Out Of Mackinaw City The Gales of November Came Slashin

Watching the Wings come back from an 0-3 deficit last year was one of the most exciting weeks of our lives.  It was stunning and it was incredible.  Those three games reminded us of just how good this team can be when everything is going right.  Health, chemistry, goaltending, strong pharmaceutical work.  For a week they were brilliant.

Do I think that could happen again? 3 straight wins against a team not quite as good as the one Detroit roared back against last year?

No, I don’t think it will.

I believe what I said back when we wondered where the Wings would finish. This is the matchup we didn’t want because it’s the kind of team that has traditionally given the Wings problems in the playoffs.  A great goaltender and a slow-down style bound to frustrate every one of us.  We knew we’d outshoot them, probably outskate them and in the dark places we all knew there was dangerous potential for the kind of sadness only we know.  Anaheim, Edmonton, Calgary, LA, San Jose, New Fuching Jersey. All ugly, tragic losses from our past that proved that it takes so much more than just talent to do this.  There are variables in the years we win.  Dallas Drake or Larry Murphy, vengeance and redemption.  Grind lines and aging goalies that remind us of Nicklas in ‘86.

It’s not our year, folks. The intangibles aren’t there. The variables are missing.  Would Darren Helm have made a big difference? I believe so. I think his speed and his tenacity and his godlike playoff touch would have made a big difference.  And I believe that when he went down the Wings deflated more than a little.

And here’s where it gets weird.  I’m ok with it. I’m ok because my expectations, for the first time in forever, were not high.

We’re going to Live Blog this bitch and it’s going to be fine.  We’ll bid farewell to our boys and look to the summer when Tick Tock will remind us all why he’s our savior.  Nick will stay and Helm will heal.  Parise will join because he knows this is the system and the franchise that was made for his talents.  And there will be others. Oh yes there will.  The Wings will not re-build. They will re-stock and re-load.

But that’s later. Today we will not bitch about Franzen loafing.  We’ll laugh about it because it’s defined us for the last sixty days.  We’ll remember that Jiri Hudler’s a karoake artist with a weakness for back-biting hookers.  We’ll think back to 2008 when Big Jonny Ericsson was on everyone’s list, including my wife’s.  We’ll watch Pavel Datsyuk even closer tonite because we know it could very well be the last time we’ll see that kind of brilliance for the next six months.  And I’m not even going to get into why we’ll be watching The Perfect Human just as closely.

And, once again, as one we’ll look at the Nashville crowd with wonder and remark just how incredible it is that so many stupid people can fit into one building for one purpose and still have absolutely no idea what it is they’re watching.

It’s over tonite, folks.  I’m pretty sure we all know it. And if it’s not?  Well, shit.  Wouldn’t that be good.  Because if tonite doesn’t signal the end, well, we’ve got ourselves a chance.

Here’s your Live Blog, bitches.  Make it a keeper.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›      Next »

Rumbear's avatar

I ain’t buying in to the Eeyore party line.  I hear there is a Wings game tonight and….

Hot damn!  Turkey sammiches!  Looking good MO!

LIfe. Is. Good.

LGRW !!!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, hanging with Dan Cleary.... on 04/20/12 at 07:25 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

A-fuchin-men!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/20/12 at 07:27 PM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

I ain’t buying in to the Eeyore party line.

I thought this was the Hasek….did someone rename it the Bryzgalov when I wasn’t looking?

Posted by The Hurricane on 04/20/12 at 07:55 PM ET

bigdee89's avatar

A bit of a redo to fire some of us up:

Well let me ask you this:

Does Datsyuk mix up a batch of dangle soup every game? Has Midget taken his game to a whole other level?  Is TPH still TPH?  Is Z back to his old self after a invisible start?  Has anyone been Kronwalled yet?  Does a catfish smell like the fans who are throwing them?

The answer my friends is hell fuchin Yes.

LGRW!

Posted by bigdee89 from The Great White North Eh? on 04/20/12 at 08:15 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I want to thank the Master Chief for putting up the live blogs (when he could) all season from the other side of the Earth while protecting 19 bitches from the bad guys.

Thanks to OkieJeff as well for the Goddamngamedaythreads all season.  Though that lazy bitch seems to be MIA today.  WTF?

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from Lidstrom’s head telling him 1 more year on 04/20/12 at 02:56 PM ET

Here Here!!  Thanks from all, Master Chief Bitch-Ass Bitch, always a treat to see you checking in via international morse code from CVST.

And thanks to the early Central Time postings from Jeff.  Give him some slack today, he’s had a court case all week and had to go all Clarence Darrow on our asses.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/20/12 at 08:16 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

It ain’t over till its over bitches.

Posted by bigdee89 on 04/20/12 at 05:09 PM ET

HeyOHHHHHHHHHHH!

Something is going to bounce past that Pecker InnaNet tonight.  We need not to make multiple bone head plays around our net.  Not too much to ask.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/20/12 at 08:21 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

That’s right.  Play like the team we know and love and we got this.

Let’s go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 04/20/12 at 08:32 PM ET

gowings's avatar

Thank you Master Chief. I could not have said it better myself

And to all you optimists thinking this game is going back to Detroit, I truly salute you. Such faith is hard to come by. I will pray that you are correct smile

Go Wings

Posted by gowings from MTL on 04/20/12 at 08:32 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

And that’s why I come here. But I stay for the creepy old men that feed me drinks
Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 04/20/12 at 01:15 PM ET

I know when I’ve met my match, wait that doesn’t sound right.

Q: What did Jerry Sandusky want for his birthday?
A: A new shower curtain

Sandusky says sometimes he feels like a 60 yr old stuck in a 10 yr old’s body.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/20/12 at 08:33 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the Land of 12 in 12. on 04/20/12 at 06:33 PM ET

Thanks Bill…I just snotted all over my jersey.  No worries…not the first time.  I’ll just rub it in with the rest.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/20/12 at 08:42 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Got some quality booze tonight…Gentleman Jack.  Hope to exorcise the demons of the Military’s Special

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/20/12 at 08:43 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

where are we, 75:00 away still?  I don’t even know if I’ll watch the Philly prelude.  I have watched a couple of their games, just so bizarre and unprofessional you can’t take your eyes off.  Imagine 6 goals a game going up on the board so easy, and we have to struggle and work our asses off for just 1.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/20/12 at 08:46 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Arizona Toughens Immigration Laws In Attempt to Rid State of Phoenix Coyotes

APRIL 20, 2012 | ISSUE 48•17

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/20/12 at 08:56 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I may be curled up in a corner tonight, wearing my Lidstrom AND Holmstrom jerseys and gulping down glasses of Jameson, but I’ll be cheering for ONE win to send this series back to the Joe.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/20/12 at 09:07 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by MsRedWinger from Michigan, now in Flori-duh on 04/20/12 at 07:07 PM ET

My daughter is headed out to Buffalo Wild Wings around Daytona Beach to watch the game.  She said she hopes she doesn’t cry in public.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/20/12 at 09:12 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

She said she hopes she doesn’t cry in public.

Posted by RWBill from the Land of 12 in 12. on 04/20/12 at 07:12 PM ET

And she rarely cries or is outwardly emotional, but Wings losing the series to Preds could do it.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/20/12 at 09:19 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Nervous as cat on Gameday.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/20/12 at 09:30 PM ET

dougie's avatar

MOWings, how the hell did you get Pekka Rinne to agree for you and your turkey to take a photo with him in the background?

Posted by dougie on 04/20/12 at 09:31 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

anyone have a FSD feed?

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 04/20/12 at 09:33 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Bottle of jameson, 4 hot dogs, this could get interesting later

Posted by dougie on 04/20/12 at 09:34 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Bottle of jameson, 4 hot dogs, this could get interesting later

Posted by dougie on 04/20/12 at 07:34 PM ET

Going with the Larry Murphy impression tonight, eh?

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 04/20/12 at 09:36 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/20/12 at 09:38 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

- MC

Was just saying this to my wife this afternoon. Well everything ‘cept the word ‘folks’. The question I have is.

Alright, where is the listening device you planted? I have swept the area and have found nothing. Had no idea a CVN could be found on Lake Superior.

Just not feeling it this year. Want to. Want to in the worst way, but still just not feeling it this year.

And 12 in 12 would have been so sweet.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 04/20/12 at 09:49 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Win or lose… just play with some passion.  Hello everyone, my name is calquake and I’m a Wingaholic.

Posted by calquake on 04/20/12 at 09:51 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

anyone have a FSD feed?

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 04

you know the game is on CNBC, right?

are there people who don’t get CNBC?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/20/12 at 09:56 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Evening 19, what are you bitches drinking?

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 04/20/12 at 09:57 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

murph:

” .. it’sh dat Tic-Tash_toe ..

Tick,

Tack,

TooH,

that da Wings are mishing ...”

got it murpph; tanx!

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/20/12 at 09:58 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Evening 19, what are you bitches drinking?

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 04/20/12 at 07:57 PM ET

Anything that won’t outright kill me.

Posted by calquake on 04/20/12 at 09:58 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by calquake on 04/20/12 at 07:51 PM ET

Wingaholics Anonymous. First names only.  Ready bitches?

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/20/12 at 10:00 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Evening 19, what are you bitches drinking?

Night Train. H2o.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/20/12 at 10:01 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

FSD Tigers said the Wings were on FSD too, maybe it’s the CNBC feed, I don’t know.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/20/12 at 10:02 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Evening bitches.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 04/20/12 at 10:02 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Checking in.

VooX !  Line em up ...double rum with a rum chaser, there’s serious work to be done, let the bottles hit the floor!!

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, hanging with Dan Cleary.... on 04/20/12 at 10:05 PM ET

OK
Completely shitty 2 weeks of work that some how went along with 2 weeks of crap from the WIngs has me really needing a good outcome tonight.  Finally home from work with whiskey in hand.  LGRW!!!!!

Posted by pawl91 on 04/20/12 at 10:06 PM ET

VooX's avatar

CBC Feed for those with a Canadian IP address.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 04/20/12 at 10:06 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Nervous as cat on Gameday.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/20/12 at 07:30 PM ET

sacrifices will be made ...

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/20/12 at 10:07 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

HerOhs play here.

Hmmm…..

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, hanging with Dan Cleary.... on 04/20/12 at 10:07 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Hey VooX, set me up with a Mt. Gay and Coke.

Cal’s right, play with fuching passion gol damnit you *#$%@&

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/20/12 at 10:07 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Nice turkey MO.  And a good evening to the rest of you bitches.

A solid effort AND some shots from the slot and i’m happy(ish).

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/20/12 at 10:07 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Oh yeah, sorry Chief, but unless he shows up I’m gonna bitch about the Mule.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/20/12 at 10:08 PM ET