Abel to Yzerman

12 Hours Out Of Mackinaw City The Gales of November Came Slashin

Watching the Wings come back from an 0-3 deficit last year was one of the most exciting weeks of our lives.  It was stunning and it was incredible.  Those three games reminded us of just how good this team can be when everything is going right.  Health, chemistry, goaltending, strong pharmaceutical work.  For a week they were brilliant.

Do I think that could happen again? 3 straight wins against a team not quite as good as the one Detroit roared back against last year?

No, I don’t think it will.

I believe what I said back when we wondered where the Wings would finish. This is the matchup we didn’t want because it’s the kind of team that has traditionally given the Wings problems in the playoffs.  A great goaltender and a slow-down style bound to frustrate every one of us.  We knew we’d outshoot them, probably outskate them and in the dark places we all knew there was dangerous potential for the kind of sadness only we know.  Anaheim, Edmonton, Calgary, LA, San Jose, New Fuching Jersey. All ugly, tragic losses from our past that proved that it takes so much more than just talent to do this.  There are variables in the years we win.  Dallas Drake or Larry Murphy, vengeance and redemption.  Grind lines and aging goalies that remind us of Nicklas in ‘86.

It’s not our year, folks. The intangibles aren’t there. The variables are missing.  Would Darren Helm have made a big difference? I believe so. I think his speed and his tenacity and his godlike playoff touch would have made a big difference.  And I believe that when he went down the Wings deflated more than a little.

And here’s where it gets weird.  I’m ok with it. I’m ok because my expectations, for the first time in forever, were not high.

We’re going to Live Blog this bitch and it’s going to be fine.  We’ll bid farewell to our boys and look to the summer when Tick Tock will remind us all why he’s our savior.  Nick will stay and Helm will heal.  Parise will join because he knows this is the system and the franchise that was made for his talents.  And there will be others. Oh yes there will.  The Wings will not re-build. They will re-stock and re-load.

But that’s later. Today we will not bitch about Franzen loafing.  We’ll laugh about it because it’s defined us for the last sixty days.  We’ll remember that Jiri Hudler’s a karoake artist with a weakness for back-biting hookers.  We’ll think back to 2008 when Big Jonny Ericsson was on everyone’s list, including my wife’s.  We’ll watch Pavel Datsyuk even closer tonite because we know it could very well be the last time we’ll see that kind of brilliance for the next six months.  And I’m not even going to get into why we’ll be watching The Perfect Human just as closely.

And, once again, as one we’ll look at the Nashville crowd with wonder and remark just how incredible it is that so many stupid people can fit into one building for one purpose and still have absolutely no idea what it is they’re watching.

It’s over tonite, folks.  I’m pretty sure we all know it. And if it’s not?  Well, shit.  Wouldn’t that be good.  Because if tonite doesn’t signal the end, well, we’ve got ourselves a chance.

Here’s your Live Blog, bitches.  Make it a keeper.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

LETS GO WINGS

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 04/20/12 at 03:03 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Got a bottle of Gentleman Jack for tonight.

I have a feeling the rotgut was our downfall.

LGRW!

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/20/12 at 03:08 PM ET

No LB for me. Watching the game with a bunch of friends at my brother’s house. We’re getting smashed and we’re starting early. First shot of Patron is scheduled for 3:45.

We may be going down tonight, but we’re going to go down with fists and livers flying.

If this is the last LB of the year then remember this: You sonofabitches are the best, all 19 of you.

And, God bless our Chief.

Forever a Red Wing.

Posted by Red Winger from work on 04/20/12 at 03:09 PM ET

Aloha, Master Chief.  Trying to keep up the hope here in Vegas as well.  The plan in simple:  keep it simple and play to win.  All the pressure’s on the Preds because it’s the clinching game and after seeing the debacle in the clinching games for the Flyers and the Kings, well, why not us, too?

Referees:
Eric Furlatt (#27)
Francois St. Laurent (#38)

Linesmen:
Steve Barton (#59)
Greg Devorski (#54)

Just win, Wings.  Just win.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 04/20/12 at 03:10 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

I couldn’t have said it any better, Master Chief.

LGRW!

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 04/20/12 at 03:13 PM ET

Ducksworth's avatar

FranzensMouthguard> Hell yeah NHL 94 FTW! haha

I say Wings win tonight 4-2, LGRW!

Posted by Ducksworth from Brownstown, MI on 04/20/12 at 03:15 PM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

strong pharmaceutical work

And that’s why I come here. But I stay for the creepy old men that feed me drinks wink

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 04/20/12 at 03:15 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Here’s your Live Blog, bitches.  Make it a keeper.

Thanks Master Chief. It’s strange not having the GDT but stranger thing have happened.

Of course I am expecting a win tonite.

In spite of everything, I am a dreamer, and, always a Wingaholic.

Let’s Roll!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/20/12 at 03:15 PM ET

We’ll remember that Jiri Hudler’s a karoake artist with a weakness for back-biting hookers. ... not even going to get into why we’ll be watching The Perfect Human just as closely.

Unbelievable. Fuching brilliant!

Posted by Red Winger from work on 04/20/12 at 03:15 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

I Believe!!!!!
Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 04/20/12 at 03:21 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

I never give up on my team. I will root for us tonight until i lose my voice. Why you ask? Because I am a die hard tried and true Red Wings fan! Let me give you a bit of perspective if you havent looked ahead just a bit.

#1 Win tonight, no matter what, pretty or ugly, JUST WIN!

#2 Winning means a home game on Sunday to even things up

#3 winning to get to game 7 means you have a shot to go to round 2

#4 Phoenix

Phoenix is your 2nd round opponent should manage to beat the Primitives. And you know, we sure as shit can beat Faux-nix.

Just Win!

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 04/20/12 at 03:27 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Chief, it sounds like you and I handle stress in a similar way. Point and laugh, make a joke aboot it, and drink heavily.

Imma have a good time tonight, and hope we will be able to hear from you on Sunday.

Posted by dougie on 04/20/12 at 03:34 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

In the immortal words of Homer Simpson— It’s funny because it’s true.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 04/20/12 at 03:38 PM ET

yzer19man's avatar

If, and I say if, this is Lidstrom’s last night (I just can’t see him going out on a low like this, although Stevie retired soon after that crushing loss to Edmonton back in ‘06), they need to make this game memorable somehow, like taking Shea Butter’s fat head and spreading it all over, as if the ice were like a piece of warm, freshly baked bread. Make these young up and coming “sexual predators” know that they won’t go down without a fight.  I highly doubt this will happen however, as I have seen nothing in this series yet, that could change my mind about the intensity level of this team. The guys we need to step up the most have been a non-factor, like our third and fourth liners.

Norris Nick will not retire.  He still is a top 10 Dman in this league.  He has proven he can be a top pairing dman past the ripe old age of 40.  He still has it. Obviously, he knows that we will be a better team next season, with a few good free agent signings.  I think he will want to take one more run. Please Nick, just one more run, please please please.

Posted by yzer19man from Chicago, IL on 04/20/12 at 03:43 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Don’t forget about Homer.

Thanks, Master Chief.

Like NIVO said, one win tonight and it’s back home to even things up.

Even Rinne can have one bad night.  And James F. Howard has it in him to steal one.

Anything can happen.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/20/12 at 03:44 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Even Rinne can have one bad night.

Other “elite” goalies have had 2 or 3 bad nights in these playoffs. Rinne still puts his pants on one leg at a time. Perhaps he has a recessive “BobbyLou” gene that comes out of hiding tonight. Maybe he eats some bad clams. Maybe the gerbil finally claws it way out.
The possibilities are endless.

Posted by dougie on 04/20/12 at 03:53 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

*slow clap*

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 04/20/12 at 03:57 PM ET

MarkK's avatar

FMG, after seeing this:

The menu title song immediately started playing in my head.

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 04/20/12 at 04:10 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Thank you, Chief.  I needed this today.

Memories of 2006 are strong today.  All the same, we have all pulled out our heavy artillery here.  My daughter and I are wearing matching Yzerman jerseys.  My 2008 SC winning t-shirt on underneath.  Being ridiculed by the Avs fans here but I don’t care.

I just hope for a strong game tonight and that we see the team that we know they can be.

I’ll be cheering right down to the last moment.

Let’s go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 04/20/12 at 04:10 PM ET

MarkK's avatar

Point and laugh, make a joke aboot it, and drink heavily...

...and then when everyone else is gone or asleep, curl up in the corner and cry deeply? me too!

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 04/20/12 at 04:11 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

The menu title song immediately started playing in my head.

Man, I rarely got to play as the Wings… we always played at my buddy’s place, and only he could be the Wings. I’d be Calgary or Chicago (Fleury and Roenick were beasts) and still whip his ass.

Had mixed emotions about that.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 04/20/12 at 04:19 PM ET

HockeyFanOhio's avatar

I’ve had “that bad feeling” pretty much all season.  Like you said, Master Chief, there is just something missing.  But I’m still a Wings fan through and through.  It may not make sense, but the Wings lose then the best team in the League is out of the playoffs tonight.

Play hard tonight, boys, and let them know that they are playing the Detroit Red Wings!

Posted by HockeyFanOhio from Central Ohio on 04/20/12 at 04:21 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

right. this may be the “nickles ” grand finale, watch every shift.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 04/20/12 at 04:22 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Breaking out the Lightfoot.  That can only mean good Juju for tonight.  Catch you bitches later.

I want to thank the Master Chief for putting up the live blogs (when he could) all season from the other side of the Earth while protecting 19 bitches from the bad guys.

Thanks to OkieJeff as well for the Goddamngamedaythreads all season.  Though that lazy bitch seems to be MIA today.  WTF?

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from Where the GM likes his team. on 04/20/12 at 04:56 PM ET

Other elite goalies had bad nights, but they’re not facing the Wings.

Heck, this place is depressing today. All those goodbyes and thank yous and shit…

Posted by Herm from the office on 04/20/12 at 05:23 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Captain Norris is ending his career the same way The Captain ended his, with an ignominius loss to an inferior team. This makes me sad. Very sad. With Nick retired, the last link to that magical tragical ‘97 season will be gone, an era really has ended.

Time to rebuild. And in Lil’ Gary’s World of Mediocrity, er, parity, that means a couple of years of suckitude to pile up some high first round picks.

Goodbye Nick. See you at your jersey raising ceremony. Which will hopefully include raising Homer’s pants over the visiting goal.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/20/12 at 05:25 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

right. this may be the “nickles ” grand finale, watch every shift.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 04/20/12 at 02:22 PM ET

It’s never too early to say Shut Whore Mouth tongue wink

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/20/12 at 05:25 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 04/20/12 at 03:25 PM ET

Here we go again. Shut Whore Mouth shut eye

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/20/12 at 05:28 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Not sure if I can LB it tonight or not (plans haven’t materialized as of yet), but in case I don’t, and in case the unspeakable occurs: Its been great season Lb-ing with you beautiful reprobates.

I’ll fly with you people any time.

Cheers

LGRW!  Shred the Preds.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/20/12 at 05:37 PM ET

Bhernhard Bhudznev's avatar

Nice set up Master Chief,

I got two nine packs of Coors Lite Aluma Bottles….......................

Fuch Em,  We got tonight.

Let #5 and Homer Skate off for the final time at the Joe.

Posted by Bhernhard Bhudznev from Traverse City, MI on 04/20/12 at 05:44 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I’m only OK with this being over if there will be some big changes.  From dating back to when Ericsson signed that contract, this season has been one ridiculous blunder after another.  This year was not done The Wings Way.  And it can’t be passively “fixed” or undone.  It will have to actively be undone and addressed.

If that’s not coming, then break Nashville’s heart, Wings.  Break them, send Radulov back to Russia next season where he’ll once again chase the money, and watch everything collapse in NAS then as Suter and Weber both leave and the window closes, slamming on everyone’s fingers.

Expectations or not Chief, I came here to read Fire.  “Never settle for embers”.

Posted by Primis on 04/20/12 at 06:12 PM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

I have found myself no longer giving a damn about the cup this season….I’m just disappointed that there’s really no more reason to watch ANY NHL hockey this season.

Gary.ass and Shanaban have ruined 2011-12 for me…hell I wouldn’t even want my name on the cup for fear that the asterisk that was this playoff season would be saddled around my neck like one of Cindy’s NAMBLA love collars.

And for the first time in more years than I can remember, I will enter into the long hot summer hoping for a new head coach….and a new captain….and someone in the locker room that actually has a heart and can motivate his teammates to remember what the Wheel represents. Tonight we will watch a hero born, or many imposters unmasked.

Prediction: 2012-13, Steve Yzerman returns to Detroit as head coach to claim his rightful throne.

Posted by The Hurricane on 04/20/12 at 06:14 PM ET

Thanks Chief,
That post fit my feelings about tonight perfectly.  My kids and I will be cheering them on to the end.  We will pull out all the good luck charms and have fun with it.
The stars are not aligned for us this year.  Thanks Gary.Ass.

Posted by Jeff from CO. on 04/20/12 at 06:27 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

my wife is making pizza for dinner, and it is always good, not sure if i can eat. this is really hurtin’

Posted by Rdwings28 on 04/20/12 at 06:29 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

The only thing that I’m giving up on is the big ol’ turkey I shot in the face this morning.
Other than that, let the guys play the game before we dig them a hole.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/20/12 at 06:35 PM ET

We just need a little more than average goaltending and to go under Rinne’s skin, then the better team will go to the SCF. LGRW

Posted by Berti from Italy on 04/20/12 at 06:48 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Posted by MOWingsfan19 on 04/20/12 at 04:35 PM ET

Nice MO.  Don’t go sendign that to anybody at CNN though…you’ll be on the news and under litigation from the ASPCA before you can say “BLAM!”

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/20/12 at 07:04 PM ET

bigdee89's avatar

I thought I knew what you and the 19 was all about after following these posts but I am baffled by this.  Whatever hope we have left I don’t care.  I bleed red and white until the final buzzer no matter what and never giving up on any Wings team.  “Bitches”? Yep sounds about right after this post.

I hope after tonight you make a nice slimy catfish sandwhich and eat your words because the big red machine is gonna win tonight.

It ain’t over till its over bitches.

Posted by bigdee89 from The Great White North Eh? on 04/20/12 at 07:09 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/20/12 at 07:21 PM ET

bigdee89's avatar

“Don’t confuse resignation and acceptance of a lost season with giving up hope. We all bleed red around here. LGRW!!!!!”

Fair enough, I was just looking forward to an epic post to get us fired up instead of let down easy smile

Peace